To have an enjoyable time, always plan ahead and follow safe boating practices. Here are some safety actions to keep in mind when heading out on the water:
- File a float plan before getting underway— this could be as simple as letting someone know where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Check observed and forecast weather conditions before beginning your trip.
- Have an escape plan in mind. Thunderstorms and weather related hazards form quickly. Never let storms cut off your route back to land.
- Watch for threatening dark clouds, a steady increase in seas or an increase in wind.
- Wear a life jacket.
- If lightning is threatening, keep below decks if possible and keep away from metal objects that are not grounded.