Words to Know…
- Compound Eyes - made up of repeating units (a lens, crystalline cone, visual cells, and pigment cells) each of which functions as a separate visual receptor.
- Proboscis - an elongated sucking mouthpart that is typically tubular and flexible.
- Anticoagulant - having the effect of retarding or inhibiting the coagulation (clotting) of the blood.
- Anesthetic - a substance that induces insensitivity to pain.
- Epidemiology - the branch of medicine that deals with the incidence, distribution, and possible control of diseases and other factors relating to health.
- Taxonomy - the branch of science concerned with classification, especially of organisms; systematics.
- Genera - a principal taxonomic category that ranks above species and below family.